Saturday, January 9, 2010

Week One


Day 1: After 3 flights and a few layover I finally arrived in Singapore almost two days later. Nothing very interested on the flights on the way over but it was apparent that I was heading to Asia based on the population of the planes occupants. Before reaching customs I was happy to see that Christmas decorations were universal, although slightly more tropical. I also accidentally brought illegal gum into Singapore, which is not illegal to chew bu is to improperly discard. I was then greeted by a family friend who picked me up from the airport around 12:30 am and brought me back to his house. After a late night coffee with his family it was off to bed. I was shown the bathroom so I could shower, etc. but was confused upon entering when I discovered no shower or tub. (The picture is of my apartment bathroom, the shower is not separated from the rest and a drain is in the middle of the floor) Afterward, because I spent most of the flights sleeping actually going to bed was not as easy as anticipated.

Day 2: The day started very early. Melissa, Michael's daughter, who is only a year or two older agreed to help me with getting over to campus and settle in to my new city. We headed over to NUS around 8:00am so I could secure housing for the semester (an issue that was more concerning for mom then anyone else). After only a few minute housing was arranged and paid (approx. 1500 sing dollars = 1075 US) sight unseen. Then we headed to the orientation for international students. It was somewhat interesting to see everyone together and where everyone is from (Americans make up about half). We then headed to the much anticipated apartment (or hostel) to see where I would be living for the next 4.5 months. After I got over the slight odor, filth, and bugs the place began to wear on me. After a quick run through it was off to lunch were we met up with Michael. After some quick shopping were I got my new phone (8108 6254) we settled on a place called a steam boat (pot). The name is misleading but it is basically the equivalent of a fondue pot. You order whatever meats and vegetables and cook them on the table. We roamed around some more in the area, mostly visiting the countless shopping malls. We headed back to Michael's house for dinner with the family. The food courts that are very typical are always close walking distance to apartments because almost all Singaporeans live in large government owned high rise apartments. These communities also come with all of the necessary shopping centers and health clinics. I got a chance to get me first Tiger Beer at dinner (the Asian equivalent to Bud, and it is actually pretty good). The food is all served family style where I sat back while various members repeatedly piled more and more food on my plate (even if I declined). The food is very different then Americanized Chinese food but is all very good (at least the stuff that I was willing to try). Much of Singapore is very western like the stores and some of the food/drinks and other stuff is very traditional. As soon as we got back from dinner I watched some local and very boring news. Without the murders, crime, and corruption I guess the news is very bland. After about 30 minutes or so I headed to the room to check email but passed out almost immediately from exhaustion.

Day 3: I slept a little later (10:00am). I headed back to campus, this time with all of my bags headed for registration. I went through the registration process very easily. I did experience something that was somewhat unexpected. When I told the processor my name at the table most if not all of the staff looked up at me. Apparently mom had called enough times that my name was so familiar that they all reconized it immediately. Kit, the woman that was helping us was very sweet, was happy to hear that I had a place to stay. Melissa, my manager, was with me for most of the day making sure that I had everything I needed and fielding my random questions as I attempted to learn about the culture and city. Without her I would have been lost. We headed to the apartment, this time armed with cleaning supplies. After a brief cleaning it was off to the local food court for lunch. After we went across the street to pick up some essentials at the grocery store. I knew that drinks are expensive in Singapore but was shocked to see the price of a case (53.30 sing on sale, but we buy the cheaper stuff called Anchor). We spent the rest of the day exploring different parts of the city, which I've learned is one giant shopping mall. They even had a three story Forever 21. Melissa and I went to dinner at a nice asian buffet (not the kind we have at home). I came home around 8:30 to be greated by all 3 of my roommates (who I had never met) sitting around drinking a beer. Needless to say I was pretty excited. All 3 of them are American. Michael, Dennis, and Samm (we share a room). They were getting ready to go to the Quay. Its a bridge were everyone goes to drink which is also very near to a bunch of clubs. NUS arranges various events for the exchange students to meet each other. We headed to a club, Zirca, which is unlike any club I have ever been to (including NYC). Drinks were very expensive but the $15 cover included 2 free drinks. We stayed till around 2 then caught a cab back (which are very reasonable).

Day 4 Preview: Went to the beach.

2 comments:

  1. Aww, jealz. Learn how to cook some Singaporean veggie dishes, ya?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hola, William. I'm jealous of your adventure. Wish I was in college again. Does Singaporean cuisine include cats and dogs?

    ReplyDelete