Friday, February 26, 2010

SUPER BOWL MONDAY

Sunday/Monday: The anticipation is killing me. I slept in my jersey last night (as I have done for the last couple of nights). I slept in, as usual. When I woke up I filled my time by gchatting, facebooking, watching random TV shows, and watching and reading about the Saints journey. While facebooking I checked out the event details for the Super Bowl party at the Chili's and got some pretty terrible news. The info box read "Please call to confirm your reservation. At this time we are not taking any more reservations or walk-ins." My heart sank. The previous information was that they would not be taking reservations and it would be first come first serve. I called all over town looking for another bar that might be showing the game. No luck. So naturally all that I could do was to call and confirm my reservation. Knowing the chaos of the event I decided I would simply call to confirm my party of four. It worked like a charm. "Oh yes sir we have you confirmed for four. Please arrive early at the south end of the Tanglin Mall. We look forward to seeing you Mr. Stoudt". I was ecstatic. The plan had worked perfectly. We had to be up at around 5:00am so we could be there for 5:30. The place wasn't slated to open till 6:00 but with all of the confusion there was no way we were leaving it to chance. I tried staying up the entire night but eventually settled on about a 2 hour nap. It took about an hour of lying there before exhaustion finally took over. Samm opted to stay up because he had some work to do. When we went to wake up Mike he informed us that he wasn't going. He had developed a pretty nasty rash all over his arm. He headed immediately for a doctors office as soon as one opened. Our friend Ian from Norway, who is a big football fan, joined us as well. We grabbed a few beers for the road and got a cab down to Chili's. When we arrived we were greeted by some other NUS students that we had planned to meet there. The two groups actually arrived before the wait staff. They let us in the restaurant as they prepared to open. Everyone else was forced to wait in a line outside until they were ready to open. Each table had a name card with the parties name but the three of us decided to sit at the bar. We had a much better view than everyone else. Additionally because we got there so early we were able to get the best pick of seats. They had purchased the Game cast online so we missed out on most of the pregame talking heads. Instead we watched a hockey game via a sling box until it was game time. At 6:30 they started offering 2 for 1 drinks for the first hour. When Melissa (Tulane) and her friends showed up without a reservation the host tried to send them away but after some arguing (because I did have a reservation for 4, as they said) I was able to get them a table. Singaporeans really don't like conflict so situations like this are usually resolved favorably. By this time it was almost game time.
I don't think I need to go over the game highlights but do have a pretty good story that happened in the 3rd quarter. I was watching quite intensely when I heard a somewhat familiar voice from behind say "if the Saints are going to win they are going to need to play some defense". I turn to find that my Singapore Foreign Policy professor is the person that is talking shit. After a brief conversation I tell him that I probably won't be in class later that day and that the Saints don't have anything to worry about (at that point I think we were in the shootout).
Among the host of people watching the game (most of them cheering for the Saints) was a very nice couple from Houston that I talked with a lot during the game. They were cheering just as hard for us as many in the Who Dat nation.

Top 5 plays during the game that need mention.
1)Ambush.
2) PT screen TD - How is he so good at those
3) Fumbled exchange after failed 4 and Goal
4) Roby's special teams plays.
And Lastly
5) #22 sealing the game.

After the game it all seemed pretty unreal. It was probably my most unique Super Bowl experience, as it was for everyone at home, but for slightly different reasons. I'm bummed I missed it but I don't think I would trade my experiences.

No comments:

Post a Comment